Glyndebourne Ebert Room
The Ebert Room at Glyndebourne was built in 1959 to provide the existing opera house with a space where scenic rehearsals could take place. The building was located adjacent to the old stage and had direct access from it, allowing scenery to be moved in and out of the stage or scene dock via a full-height soundproof connecting door. The room was previously used for chorus rehearsals, music calls, pre-performance talks and rehearsals with smaller scenic elements.
Charcoalblue was engaged in 2007 by Glyndebourne to investigate ways in the space could be better adapted for a wider range of events including education projects. Having produced a feasibility study detailing a number of alternatives, we then led a scheme to revitalise the space, and provided space for up to 130 people on a fixed balcony, with a motorised seating bleacher, new stagelighting and audiovisual systems, refurbished mechanical ventilation and greatly-improved access for wheelchair users.
The development took place during the winter months to avoid disruption to the summer Opera Festival, and was completed in time for the 2011 season.